Parliamentary Debate

DEBATING TIPS
How to answer Points of Information (POI)


You must address questions prompted to you by your opponents POLITELY, ACCURATELY and IMMEDIATELY.

So,dear students, the best way is to respond the same way every time.
The phrases that you can use are:

"Yes, I will be happy to address the gentleman's (or lady's) question."

To refuse a question, "I'm terribly sorry but I do not have time to address the gentleman's (or lady's) question at this moment."

To post-pone a question, "I'm sorry, I'd like to finish this point, then I will gladly address the gentleman's (or lady's) question."

After post-poning, "Now, I'll gladly address the gentleman's (or lady's) question."

Sometimes, you may say "I will happily take the first of three questions from the gentleman (or lady)." (if there were too many questions asked at a time)

To refuse any more questions, you can say "I'm terribly sorry but I will be unable to take any more questions."